Friday, January 18, 2008

A Poem by my Great Grandad.

At my Great Grandad's birthday party, he recited 2 poems; a shakespearian poem & one he wrote himself. This is what he recited to his guests at his party:

I feel I’m rather in a jam `cause unaccustomed as I am

I’ve got to say a word or two – or three or four or even more-

So –

Six of Shakespeare’s ages I’ve known in full measure,

Lots of pain and lots of pleasure.

The infant, the schoolboy, the lover, the sailor, the justice;

And here I am this afternoon,

Your lean and slippered pantaloon.

I creak, I squeak, my knees are weak,

I snuffle and sneeze and blow my nose.

I can no longer touch my toes,

I’ve a touch of gout I could do without;

But on these things I do not dwell

`Cause otherwise I’m very well.

In Seventy-three I first came to Oz

And liked it very much because

It seemed to me as very much so

Like the England I knew long ago.

Since then, whenever I’ve crossed the foam,

It’s just been coming from home to home;


And now once more I’m seeing the joys

Of little girls and little boys.

Which leaves one more thing just to say:

Thankyou all for honouring me today.

Written by Robert Alfred Johnson, recited on the occasion of his 90th. birthday, 12th. January, 2008.


No comments: